I can’t believe it has been almost a year since my last post. I have been meaning to write this update for awhile but the whole process of taking stock of all the new products I have tried just kept slipping down my list of priorities! The nice thing I have found is that once I started looking for cruelty-free products, I discovered more and more options exist. There are still a few things I am looking for. I discovered that my previously cruelty-free brand for hair oil spray has started selling their products in China. China requires all cosmetics to be tested on animals so that was the end of my Ogx hair oil. I am sad about it because they have a lot of great products at very reasonable prices. Anyway, here is a list of products that I have used since my last post.
- The Honest Company
- Mineral Sunscreen Spray SPF 30: I have heard some mixed reports on Honest Sunscreen but I found this product to be very effective. I like sprays because they are the easiest way to get decent coverage on a wriggly toddler.
- Mario Badescu
- Enzyme Cleansing Gel: I really like the Glycolic Foaming Cleanser. The cleansing gel was recommended for Clarisonic users so I thought I would try it out. It is a great cleanser, more creamy than foamy and very gentle.
- Honey Moisturizer: I got a free sample of this with the cleansing gel. I don’t think it has any SPF in it but it makes for a great night-time moisturizer. It smells wonderful and does make my skin feel and look better.
- Alba Botanica: Having enjoyed the pineapple face wash, I thought I would try a few more products. Everything I have tried from them has been great!
- Hawaiian Facial Wash- with Coconut Milk: This is another great product. It is creamy instead of producing a lather and the Ginger in it makes it feel very refreshing.
- Very Emollient Sunscreen Active Kids Clear Spray SPF 50: This is my favorite sunscreen now. I love the spray’s consistency and it offers great protection.
- Physicians Formula: I bought some of these products because I was looking for an inexpensive waterproof mascara. I was surprised to discover this brand is cruelty free. There are so few drugstore level brands that are.
- Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Work It! Full + Flared + Fit Lashes Mascara: I just had to copy and paste that title because it was so long! lol. Anyway, this is a decent mascara. It is relatively waterproof and provides lash definition. It is definitely not a volumizing formula but it is a decent option if you end up like me, looking for a waterproof mascara that doesn’t cost over $20!
- Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin CC Cream SPF 20: I have been looking for a cruelty-free CC cream to try out that didn’t cost the earth. I found this one at Ulta when I was buying the mascara. They were doing some kind of buy one, get one 50% off or something like that so I thought I would try it. Turns out, I like this product way more than the mascara. They have a few more color options than other brands which was helpful. I had tried another brand but the lightest color offering was way too beige on my pale skin! The light color option works really well on my skin and feels much lighter than regular foundation. It is a great product for Texas summer!
- Pur Minerals:
- Volume Vixen: I got a trial size of this mascara in an Ulta goody bag and I really like it. I was impressed to find out that this is a cruelty free brand. It is a nice formula that adds volume without being clumpy.
- Hempz: As I have been branching out more from just cleaning supplies, this was one of the first haircare brands I tried out.
- Triple Moisture Rich Herbal Whipped Creme Conditioner: This is a really, really fantastic conditioner. I have curly hair which gets really dry and frizzy. This conditioner is rich and deeply moisturizing
- Fairy Tales
- Lifeguard Clarifying Shampoo: I found this product after my daughter started swimming more frequently. It smells wonderful and has a nice lather. It does a good job of removing chlorine and other swimming chemicals from Georgia’s hair.
- Lemon-Aid Conditioner: This also smells fantastic. It is moisturizing and helps a lot with detangling hair.
- Everyday Shea
- Babies & Up Bubble Bath – Lemon Lavender: This is a great product for a relaxing bath time. The lavender smell is authentic rather than that fakey perfume smell you get with a lot of baby baths. It also produces plenty of bubbles.
- Babies & Up Bubble Bath – Coconut Chamomile: This is also a relaxing scent with plenty of bubbles. I prefer lavender but this is also a great product.
- Babyganics: I have been using their products since Georgia was born, before I really committed to phasing out products employing animal testing. I am really happy that they are a cruelty free brand.
- Bubble bath – Chamomile Verbena: The Babyganics bubble baths all produce a nice amount of bubbles and have a nice scent. My only issue is that the bottle isn’t that big and costs quite a bit.
- Night Time Bubble bath – Orange Blossom: This is a really nice scent but I don’t find orange blossom as relaxing as lavender. That is the main reason I went to using Everyday Shea bubble bath.
- Night Time Shampoo + Body Wash – Orange Blossom: This is my favorite product of theirs. As I said before, I don’t think orange blossom is a particularly relaxing smell but it is a wonderful smell all the same and I love this shampoo. I bought it before Georgia was born because it was a foaming shampoo instead of the usual liquid which meant I would have less issues with it dripping into her eyes. I have never had that problem with this product and I would recommend it to anyone with a newborn at home! It is great for all little ones and we still use it now that Georgia is 3.
- Shampoo + Body Wash – Chamomile Verbena: This is exactly the same as the Orange Blossom version with a different scent. It also smells great but Orange Blossom is my personal favorite.
- Mineral-based Sunscreen: This is a great sunscreen for babies once they are old enough for sunscreen. (I think you can apply from 6 months, but check with your pediatrician). It is a spray cream which makes it pretty easy to apply.
- Supergoop!: Another product that I tried before I really began looking for cruelty-free products. I received a free bottle at an event and absolutely loved the product.
- Skin Soothing Mineral Sunscreen: This product has a great consistency and is very gentle. It was the first sunscreen I ever used on my daughter.
- Method: Now on to cleaning products. I was already impressed by this brand so I have continued to try products from their range. I have yet to find anything I didn’t like.
- Bathroom Cleaner – Eucalyptus Mint: This is a very effective cleaner for sinks, toilets and tubs. The smell is nice. There is nothing chemical about the scent and it is not overpowering. With many other products, I have to take a break from cleaning because the scent overwhelms me. That is not the case with this cleaner.
- Hand Wash Dish Soap – Clementine: Method’s dish soap for hand-washing dishes is very nice. It foams well and smells fantastic.
- Smarty Dish Plus Dishwasher Detergent Packs: I have tried both scented and unscented varieties of this product and they are both great. The scented ones have a very mild clean scent. They are very effective.
- Wood for Good Daily Clean Spray: I recently bought a bottle of this and I am so impressed. It is far nicer than Pledge. It cleans well, has a wonderful scent and really seems to condition the wood. Our dining table has not looked so good in quite awhile.
- Foaming Hand Wash – Juicy Pear: Oh my goodness, I love this scent so much. It really does smell like pears and is so nice to use!
- Nourishing Hand Wash – Almond Flower: This is another wonderful scent. I use it in the kitchen since I end up washing my hands while cooking so much. It is better to have an extra moisturizing formula for that purpose.
Well I think that covers everything I have tried. I am now realizing why it has been so long since I have posted anything. It took me three days to write this!